Sunday, November 18, 2012

shit i never buy organic

Organic produce is expensive and to save money being a produce-lover, I buy conventional for most things, unless there is not much of a price difference between the two.

Anyway, here's some shit I love that I never buy organic for:

Avocados

I fucking love avocados as guacamole, in salads, in dips, in salad dressing, straight up with a spoon, you name it. Due to their thick skin there's no goddamned reason to buy organic. (Unless you're supporting a local farmer or a good business, because then it's totally rad).

Bananas

All bananas are pretty much the same, and I love them. There's no goddamned reason to buy them organic. Every banana is genetically identical, so there's no need to buy organic to avoid GMO's if that's your thing.

I'll agree that some conventional banana companies are total assholes. This post is about health, not ethics.

Cruciferous non-leafy vegetables

I'm talking cauliflower, broccoli, etc. I don't buy these organic because I plan on cooking them anyway, and I think it's more important to buy organic when you're eating them raw. I only eat cauliflower and broccoli cooked because, for whatever reason, they make me sick to my stomach when I don't. I'd say it's due to oxolate content, but I eat kale and cabbage raw like a fucking boss.

Squash

I'm already going to be roasting the shit out of this. Why buy organic? If you eat raw squash, then make your own informed decision.

Low fat animal products

Unless I'm buying a fatty animal product, like fatty meat, or butter if you're down with dairy, or whole eggs, there's no need to buy organic (for health reasons). When you buy organic, you're paying extra to not have chemicals where the chemicals are going to be soluble ... in the fat.


No comments:

Post a Comment