Thursday, November 29, 2012

cauliflower "sushi"

I personally have never been a big rice person, even when I was just gluten-free and nothing else. I'm too lazy to spend time cooking it, it has no nutritional value, and I didn't grow up eating it all that much, so I never developed any emotional attachment to it. I'm not trying to bash rice - it's definitely the least evil of all grains (white rice that is, brown rice is trash). 

This is an abomination to actual sushi. Is it authentic in any way, shape, or form? Hell no! Does it taste good? I think so. 


Take some cauliflower and chop it into little pieces. Put this into your food processor or Blend/Tec and pulse it until the cauliflower looks like rice.

Note: If you have a thyroid issue, or if you are used to eating rice, you may want to cook your riced cauliflower by either steaming it in a nut-milk bag lined steamer, or you could put it in the microwave. I like it raw, but I don't normally eat rice, so it may be different for everybody.


Nori is totally gluten-free, soy-free, fish-free, and free of all common allergens. It's also amazingly good for you, especially if you cannot eat fish due to allergies or financial constraints.

Lay down your nori, and put your cauliflower "rice" on top. Then put thin strips of cucumbers, carrots, avocados, pickled ginger, what-have you. Whatever you want to stuff this with.


I was an idiot and didn't go shopping for filling, so this is just cucumber slices and thinly sliced ginger root.


Don't listen to advice from me as to how to actually roll sushi. Listen to this lady. Again, this isn't authentic whatsoever, but it tastes good and it's good for you.



I find that the raw cauliflower "rice" is a pretty good substitute for sticky rice. I use lemon juice for a dipping sauce as I am allergic to soy, so I can't have gluten-free soy sauce. I fucked up when I made this, hence why I don't have a picture of the final product. It wasn't that bad, but I was hungry, so I was just like "Fuck it, it's a fucking burrito."

Peace, love, and seasonal fruit,
/bitchesloveproduce

No comments:

Post a Comment