Saturday, November 17, 2012

saturday salad: pork n pear slaw

So, this is a recipe post. Sort of.

A long time ago, my dad did Atkins to lose a whole bunch of weight, and it worked for a little while, though I think Atkins is pretty terrible. Anyway, he would sometimes go to Chinese restaurants and order this boneless ribs, which I also loved. I don't think I've had them since I was little.

Anyway, I was at the supermarket today and I saw these boneless pork ribs on sale, so I bought them.

My philosophy with sauces is that you can take any dish that has a sauce, especially something like sweet and sour sauce, and make a salad that has all of those same flavors and be just as satisfied. (Note: this is often not true, and I may be lying to myself). It worked this time.

Anyway, here goes the recipe. It's delicious.


1. Chop up your pork ribs into thin slices. Put this in a pan on medium heat and stir it every once in a while. Prepare your vegetables as this is going on.


2. Take this much purple cabbage, and chop it up nicely so it looks like this:



3. Take two handfuls of baby carrots and put them in a food processor (I use a Blend-Tec, but I don't know if you can do this with a normal blender). Chop into fine pieces. Put in your bowl.



4. Take a pear and spiralize it. If you don't have a spiralizer, you should totally get one if you love produce as much as I do, but I'm sure this would be delicious simply sliced thin. 


5. Take this much kale, and chop it up so it looks like this:


6. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar.


7. By now, your pork should be browned. Take approximately half a pound of it and chop it up into even smaller pieces. Add it to your salad. Toss everything around until you have a nice mixture.


8. Enjoy! It's very tasty.


Ok, now for the TL;DR recipe:

Ingredients:
-1/2 lb boneless pork ribs, chopped into thin slivers
-1/4 tsp garlic salt
-1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
-1/2 head purple cabbage, sliced thin
-1 cup baby carrots, finely chopped in a food processor
-1 bartlett pear, spiralized
-1 cup kale, finely chopped
-1 tblsp olive oil
-1 tblsp balsamic vinegar

Directions:

1. Put your pork in a pan and add your spices. Let this cook over medium heat while you prep your vegetables.
2. Finely chop your cabbage, carrotts, pear, and kale. Put them in a bowl.
3. Add your olive oil and vinegar.
4. By this point in time, your pork should be browned. Chop 1/2 lb of it into tiny pieces and put in your bowl.
5. Toss your salad. 

Enjoy!

/bitchesloveproduce



No comments:

Post a Comment