Sunday, December 2, 2012

grain free breakfast cereal

I wrote a post earlier today where I bashed oatmeal. I realize now that some of you may want an alternative. I rock out every morning with a savory breakfast, but I know some of you may not be down with that. This recipe is not as nutritious as many of my other recipes, but it is healthy, filling, and easy. You could probably even make a big batch in the crockpot.

According to cronometer, this cereal has 6.2 g protein, 11 g of fiber, and a 1:1 ratio of mega 3 to omega 6. If you eat 2 packets of low-sugar instant, you get 8 g of protein (but some of that is gluten ... ewww), 6 g of fiber (but it's not the good kind), and no fat whatsoever. I don't know about you and your nutrition goals, but I'll take the first one. I didn't even get into micronutrients at all here.

This is just as sweet and tasty as packaged oatmeal, but it doesn't have any added sugars, chemicals, you name it.


Take an apple. Chop it into tiny pieces.


Put that apple in a saucepan and add 1/4 cup light coconut milk. If you really want to use the full-fat, that's totally rad, but it will have a stronger coconut flavor. I suppose if you don't like coconut milk, you could use another milk, but I like the lipid profile of coconut milk the most. 


Put that saucepan on medium heat and get it to boil


Take a vanilla bean and cut open about 1/2 inch strip. Toss it whole into the pot. You can remove it later.

I guess you could use vanilla extract, but quality vanilla extract is normally made with grain alcohol, so even if it's "gluten free," it still contains traces of the amino acids in gluten, which can cause reactions in very sensitive individuals, such as myself.


Chia seeds are what make this cereal like. Chia seeds absorb whatever liquid they are in and make it into a pudding-like consistency, not unlike oatmeal. After your mixture has been boiling for 5 minutes, turn off the heat and add 1 tablespoon chia seeds. Let it sit for approximately 5 minutes.


I added half an ounce of almonds for some crunch.

Peace, love, and seasonal produce,
/bitchesloveproduce

2 comments:

  1. Julie this looks so tasty! I'll have to try it out over the weekend. Will low fat coconut milk taste like coconuts though? I love coconut currys precisely cause they don't taste like coconut-- ugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it will taste all that much like coconut, especially if you use lite coconut milk, but I like the taste of coconut. If you add cinnamon and vanilla bean (not the extracts), I think that would completely cover up the taste of coconut.

      Delete